Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pansit - The Ultimate Filipino Birthday Noodles

"Pansit na naman?!" (Pansit again?)

This is a running joke among Filipinos because "pansit" has been a staple dish during birthdays and other celebrations. So, I've decided to share how I cook pansit through this blog. Though I know most wives already know how to cook this, this still might help others.

PANSIT BIHON - My Way

Ingredients:
**Note** Most of the measurements here are mere approximations. I don't usually measure my ingredients. I just go by the taste-test method.

1 kilo pansit bihon
1/2 kilo of pork, cubed
1/4 kilo of squid balls, cut into halves
1/4 cup garlic, minced
1/4 cup onions, chopped
2 tablespoons of cooking oil
2 pcs. carrots, medium size, sliced into small strips
2 pcs. chayottes, small size, sliced into small strips
1 whole cabbage, sliced into strips
6 cups of water
1/2 cup of soy sauce



How to cook:
1. Pre-heat the wok, then pour the cooking oil.
2. Saute the garlic, then the onion.
3. Add the pork cubes. Saute until meat is cooked.



4. Add the squid balls. Saute until cooked.
5. Add the carrots, immediately followed by the chayotes. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
6. Pour in the soy sauce, then the water. Cover the wok and let the mix boil.



7. Add the cabbage. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
8. Separate the ingredients and place it in a bowl, leaving the soup mix (sabaw) on the wok.



9. Put the pansit noodles on the boiling soup mix. Mix them well till the noodles are cooked. you will notice that the soup mix will slowly be absorbed by the noodles as they cook.
10. When the noodles are evenly cooked, get the veggies and meat ingredients that you previously set aside and mix it with the noodles. Or, for a better-looking plate for serving, put the noodles on the plate first and the cooked meat and veggies on top.


So, that's it, pansit! I cooked this for my hubby's birthday and he loved it. I hope you like it too!





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing... I can't wait to try it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, sis. I will be posting more "lutong-bahay" recipes in the weeks to come. :-)

    ReplyDelete